CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Unbroken

Over the last few weeks, our family has personally witnessed a lot of heartache. We've seen a heart-of-God man go home to be with the Lord, leaving his family behind to go on without him. We've seen a sister in Christ struggle over the death of her husband who, himself, struggled with the idea of a loving, saving, God-in-the-flesh, sacrificial Christ. We know families who have lost babies. We've seen our sister lose her job. God is in all of this, we know, but it is still difficult to watch their hearts ache and break with grief and uncertainty.

Yesterday, I was watching my girls play with their friends, running and laughing--so carefree. I wondered how long that carefree world would last for them. A deep sadness came over me as I realized their childhood would most likely be snatched away well before I or they were ready. I wondered how we would handle that intrusion and how we would keep our girls focused on the glory of heaven while walking through a world that is focusing all its' energies on hell. I was afraid. Afraid for them, that they would pursue sin and its' pleasures. Afraid that Charlie and I wouldn't know how to protect them and shelter them in a way that allows them to discover the Lord and His ways. Just afraid.

We tucked them into bed, snug and safe and warm and I found myself praying the same prayer thousands of parents have prayed, "Oh, Lord, if only they could always stay safe and warm and sheltered under this roof, knowing they are loved. If only they never had to walk in this dark, dark world. Protect them, Lord. Keep them close to Your heart always. Give me strength and wisdom..."

This morning, the Lord reminded me of scriptures He has led me to recently. I have been struggling to understand why so many tough things are going on around us; why our body in particular seems so afflicted.

(Speaking of the Passover lamb) "It is to be eaten in a single house; you are not to bring forth any of the flesh outside of the house, nor are you to break any bone of it." Exodus 12;46

"but coming to Jesus, when they saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs...for these things came to pass to fulfill the Scripture, 'Not a bone of Him shall be broken.'" John 19:33, 36

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones, not one of them is broken." Psalm 34:19-20

"The light of the moon will be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun will be seven times brighter, like the light of seven days, on the day the Lord binds up the fracture of His people and heals the bruise He has inflicted." Isaiah 30:26

"we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our body." 2 Corinthians 4:8-10

Our world is filled with broken things. Broken governments, broken schools, broken churches (yes, sadly, churches), broken leaders, broken marriages, broken families, broken people. They are broken in a way that we are unable to fix. They are broken because the world has been broken by sin. As believers, we are not promised to be given a life that is without hardship and trials. As the scripture above promises, "we are afflicted in every way..." and God will "heal the bruise He has inflicted." We are promised that we will indeed endure afflictions that are a result not only of the fallen world we live in, but also as a part of God's masterful design for our lives. We will endure suffering because the Lord wills it.

But, our Saviour is not broken. Never has he been broken in Spirit, in heart, in body, or in mind. He is whole and He is holy. He was set apart for my salvation; for your salvation. He was and is and always shall be without sin. He is the only balm for our brokenness. He is redemption for a broken and dying world.


I've been thinking about this all day as I've tried to gather my thoughts. Re-reading the scripture, I'm left with a sense of peace. God, in His infinite wisdom, planned for my children to be born into this time of broken things. He created them to not only live in this time but to thrive in it, for His glory. I can imagine Him choosing their quick minds and forming their strong wills to withstand the pressures of all that they will live through. He made them to live and love without fear. Each of them has a purpose that will bring glory to the name of Jesus. I am so humbled to be their mama! And, I wonder, as I sit here thinking about all these things, if part of their purpose will be to someday exhort their daddy and I to continue on in the Lord as we see the world breaking and falling around us. God is so good.

So, I thank you, Father, for who you are. You are my all-knowing Father, my Saviour, Jesus, and my Counselor. I thank you for the Word, which is a balm to me when I feel wounded. I will not be afraid of the future for my girls or myself, knowing and trusting that You have made each of us to live in this time and place to glorify You; knowing You have and will continue to equip us to do so. I am so excited to see where You are taking us; what new adventure is just over the rise. I can feel Your joy rising within me. Thank You, thank You, precious Lord for letting me know You more and more each day. Thank You for being unbroken for me. I love You...Amen.




2 comments:

Rachel said...

Needed and beautiful. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Another one just for me! I read it several times last week--God is definitely using your blog. Thanks for sharing it with us! You should look into publishing these for "real".