CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

More Than We Can Handle, Not He

I'm pregnant. I'm tired. I have all-day sickness.
I have the flu. I have small children. I have mountains of laundry.
I hurt my back. I can't stand up, sit down, or lie down. I'm hobbling like an old woman.

This isn't a pity party or a diatribe on the evils of illness and injury and physical inconvenience. Rather this is a reminder, a note to self for future reference and remembering...God most certainly does give us more than we can handle. Why? Because it forces a decision of the heart. Where do I flee when the weight of my choices, my actions, my environment, or even my frail faith are a mountain upon me; waves engulfing me and stealing my breath? Indeed, where do I turn? Do I turn inward? Do I turn to others? Both are poor choices for a multitude of reasons. We as believers in the Almighty power of Jesus Christ have no excuse to run anywhere but to the Source of life, the Mover of mountains, the Calmer of raging seas and gusting winds. Any other choice is a betrayal of the love He has born unto us. So where do I flee?

Psalm 121
I will lift my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip,
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.

Make this the prayer of my heart, sweet Jesus. Amen.

5 comments:

Ann said...

We sang this psalm on Sunday--it's one of my all time favorites.

And we'll bring dinner over tomorrow. It won't be fancy, but it'll be dinner :)

jan said...

You poor thing! Just relax and get well. It won't hurt your kids to veg. for a day or two, (or three) while you lay on the couch and rest.

Jesus bless you Jen!
Judy

Anonymous said...

Your heart is heading ever so closely to His. How else can you consistently and continually seek Him in all? Joys and sorrows are both His and yours to go through together. I am so happy for the day that you found Father God or rather that He made you aware of Him and you responded in obedience.

Be well friend.

Anonymous said...

I did a search tonight on George Markey and found your website(again) I previously did a search and found your husband's writings with a link to yours. I have enjoyed your writings so much but didn't know you attended a Calvary Chapel! My husband and I were Serving in Sochi Russia for almost 1 year and helped to re-start a Calvary Chapel there. Now we are in Oregon attending a wonderful Calvary in Corvallis. Thank you for your "blog". It makes me feel as if I know you. Must be that connection we have in the Body of Christ as you spoke about regarding the celebration of George Markey's life. I really enjoy your stories about your children! I will pray for you tonight! I was sick for all 3 of my pregnancies(the entire pregnancy). My children are 30, 25 and 23 now! Love, Debby (your sister in Christ in Oregon)

Charity Grace said...

Oh, I am sorry! I have been there. Hope you feel better very soon.