CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Firsts and Lasts

Emma is at school today.
Even re-reading that sentence gives me a lump in the back of my throat. After lots of prayer and discussion, Charlie and I have chosen to enroll her in our church's small, private Christian school this Fall. So, today she is having a visiting day to meet her teacher and see what a day at school is like--though the end-of-school spirit was palpable when we drove up! She seems so mature and grown-up at home, but she looked so small and vulnerable as I was walking away. It took all my energy not to scoop her up and smother her with hugs and kisses. I was guessing that even in a small, safe, Christian environment that wasn't quite the right response:)
I've given a lot of thought to what sort of schedule we will have to adhere to in the Fall and this morning I decided to try it out. This is what I've discovered after only one morning:
1. Get up earlier--both me and the kids.
2. Go to bed earlier--both me and the kids.
3. Make sure there is gas in the van the night before.
4. Pray, pray, pray.

Emma was really excited when we told her about school. She is bright and eager to learn and I have every confidence that she will do exceptionally well next year. Still, it was hard to watch my "baby" settle in for learning somewhere other than home. I've really spent a lot of time praying that God will help me trust His leading. This is the right decision for her and for all of us. It's just hard to let go.

But, I am excited about the possibility of focusing more intently on Ruthie's studies next year and so is she. At first, she was put out that she wouldn't be at school as well, but when I explained that she would have my undivided attention all week long, she lit up. I know she's been craving "mommy time" for awhile now. She's been working on a list of things she'd like to do next year. Many of them are things Emma does now, but she's beginning to come up with her own ideas:
1. Type the grocery list each week.
2. Learn to make bread.
3. Walk the dog.
4. Read a chapter book.
5. Learn all the books of the Bible.
6. Study Esther.
7. Dance.
8. Do harder math.
9. Write letter to people in our family.
10. Go to the zoo....a lot!
I think we can accommodate all those items and then some!

Anyway, today is about firsts and lasts and while I am feeling a little sentimental about this summer being our last one with all the kids in home school, I am so excited about all the firsts the future holds as well. We're trusting in the Lord with all our hearts and trying very hard not to lean on our own understanding, acknowledging Him in all our ways as best we can, knowing He is directing our paths. (Proverbs 3)

0 comments: