CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Storing and Freezing Bacon

We like bacon...maybe love bacon. But, in an effort to be a smidge more healthful we try to limit our consumption of our favorite salty, crispy breakfast meat. Last time we visited my grandparents, my grandfather showed off his latest, greatest culinary feat (boy, he is getting handy in the kitchen!). He showed me their stash of ready-to-go freezer bacon and I loved it! So, when our favorite brand of bacon went on sale recently, I stocked up and got to work.I started by prepping a large baking sheet with a very light coat of non-stick spray. I then took each individual piece of bacon and wrapped it around two of my fingers, forming a cutie little swirl. I then placed the swirls on the baking sheet, being careful to place them close together but not touching.

Once the sheet was full, I placed it in the freezer for about an hour. Then I placed the swirls in a freezer bag and--voila! I have 3 pounds of bacon prepared in individual portion sizes. Now, when we want a little taste of bacon but don't want to overdo it, we simply remove however many swirls we want and enjoy!
Thanks to Tammy for hosting Kitchen Tip Tuesdays! And thanks to PaPa for the great idea!

5 comments:

The Book Lady Online said...

Neat idea!

SnoWhite said...

fun! what a great idea.

melinda said...

great idea!! thank you. and the picture was pretty, too. bacon, ah, bacon--yum!!

Kim said...

I always cut a pound of bacon in half, then take half of each side (so I end up with 1/4 the pk) and freeze that way - just enough for 2-3 of us or to use in a recipe.

Mrs. Pear said...

I didn't know this! Great tip!

Of course, you can also cook it most of the way, cool it, and freeze it in appropriate serving sizes. To freeze it wrap each portion in paper towel then saran wrap then in a zip top bag.

Once you thaw it you just warm in/finish cooking it in the frying pan.