CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Real Birds and Bees Moment

We took the kids to this dairy farm today and had a great time. Their ice cream was unbelievable. Guess it was the 21% butter fat...anyway...

We were able to see a calf being born and the kids were super excited about that event. They all agreed that was their favorite part of the day. I was surprised at how patient they were, waiting for the cow to push the baby out. One of the vets had to help her along a bit as this was her first calf and it can be a pretty lengthy process. Sounds vaguely familiar...

As I was tucking them into bed, Emma mentioned that it was "weird" to see a calf coming out of a cow bottom. I was exhausted and I told her that I had a lot more to tell her about all of that, but not tonight. Part of my plan in seeing the live birth was to begin a rather lengthy process of explaining the birds and the bees to her...a process I am imagining we will be careful, thorough and prayerful to explain. Olivia though, was not assured by my answer. "But, how exactly did that calf get in there? And where was the daddy cow?" Her three year old brain is full of questions...we may have to get into the Reader's Digest condensed version of this issue for her! But I love how her mind works and that she is always thinking about something and trying to figure things out.


It was a great day, but very tiring so off to bed I go. Even if sleep doesn't come right away, just resting this weary body will be awesome.


Thanks, Lord, for another memorable day together as a family. Thank You for the miracle of both and life and our hope in You. Give us wisdom as we guide our children in Your truth. Give me rest tonight. In Jesus' name, Amen.

0 comments: