CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 13, 2007

Things I Want You To Know: We are not home, yet.

(Dear Emma, Ruthie and Olivia: Sometimes, I wonder if I will remember to tell you all the things I think are wonderful about our Lord. Sometimes, I worry that I will forget to impart to you some Truth that the Lord has shown me. Sometimes, I wish I could tell you now the little bit I understand of God's glory. So, now and then, I'll try to write those things down here, and maybe someday, you'll read this or I'll read this and we can talk about it together. I love you each, but Jesus loves you more. Love, Mommy)

I've been thinking about your futures, girls, wondering what kind of choices you will make, what sort of work you will find for your hands to do, what kind of man you will choose to marry, what sort of wife and mother you will each be. The future is full of so many rich promises from the Lord. One promise I want each of you to hold tightly to is this: "...for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:2-3 This world where we live is only a temporary home. We don't belong to the world but to God. His plan is for us to live here, growing and learning in our knowledge of His love for us so that, someday, we will be with Him, worshipping Him in Spirit and Truth.

The world can seem exciting and enticing, with its' pleasures and indulgences. But, compared to the splendor and majesty of God's eternal glory, the world becomes dark and ugly. I want you each to know that we are not home yet. Don't get too comfortable! Don't put down roots in this world but root yourselves in the Word and in the life-saving grace of Jesus Christ. God wants us to live in this world but He wants our hearts and minds to be fixed on our eternal home--the one He has prepared for us. It is the only place where we will truly belong. I want you to be there with me and Daddy, worshipping Jesus forever. I want you to each live your lives for the glory of God, knowing that your time here on earth is but a moment compared with an eternity with God.

I must confess that I sometimes get caught up in the things of this world. To be sure, they don't seem like worldly things but God always reminds me that they are. Whenever I take my eyes off Jesus, I lose sight of my eternal purpose: to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. It also makes life on earth unbearably difficult to navigate when my gaze is averted to this temporal world. But, God is faithful in reminding me to return my gaze to the face of Jesus.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

I love you, girls. We are not home, yet, but I love walking through this world with you!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard Rich Mullin's song to this verse? It's been one of my theme songs for the last month...ask Henry about the room Jesus is preparing for him :)