CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12, 2009

8 Cents and a Hijacked Day

This weekend was supposed to be about simplifying. FINALLY, after almost a decade of marriage, my husband and I are on the same page concerning our house. We've both had the bug in years past to de-clutter and simplify our home, life, finances, etc. But the other spouse wasn't in the same place at the same time. So, we've done a fair amount of sorting and cleaning and re-organizing, but nothing like a whole-house overhaul. This year it's a different story. In trying to streamline our homeschool and life, we both came to the same conclusion: God is a God of order, not disorder. People are more important than things unless those things are getting in the way of people.

Saturday, we explained to the kids that we were planning a huge yard sale for the Spring and the money we earn will be used towards our vacation this summer. After shouts of joy and great celebration, we started working through our kitchen cabinets. When it was all said and done we had three completely empty cabinets, an empty drawer and six boxes of yard sale items. Amazing how much junk we were holding on to all these years...

Anyway, we were on a roll and in my mind, I was geared up for a marathon cleaning/organizing session that would last well into Sunday afternoon. Then the kids started dropping like flies, disappearing into other regions of the house where they mostly caused mayhem and confusion. Then it was time to make lunch. Then it was time to visit with friends...nurse the baby...go to the grocery...eat dinner...nurse the baby...give the kids a bath...nurse the baby... I felt like my day and my plans had been hijacked in a variety of ways. Plus, I was also questioning the wisdom of telling the kids about vacation plans that are six full months away. I mean, a lot can happen between now and then. Not to mention the fact that we are still paying for Samuel's surgery and hospital stay etc. etc. etc.

Then Emma comes downstairs out of breath and excited. "Mommy! Look what I found--money!" Eight cents. Eight whole cents to a seven year old is a lot like a hundred dollars to an adult. She has no concept of what vacations or cars or houses or even groceries cost. but she had found eight cents and she was ready to share it with the rest of the family. We found a mason jar and made it into our vacation jar and she made her deposit. So pleased with herself and sure that the Lord was going to follow through with not only the money, but also our plans to get away as a family this summer.

I stared at those eight cents through bleary, puffy eyes this morning, slowly sipping my hot tea. I smiled as I remembered the satisfied look on her face as she dropped those coins into the jar, trusting that the other coins would follow. I could feel the Holy Spirit reminding me that I should have the same faith. And, that I should let Him hijack my days more often. That I should look for they ways He is trying to truly simplify me...and my relationship with Him. It isn't complicated. He loves me. He's forgiven me. He wants me to live for Him. Simple. Beautiful.

Thanks, Lord, for Your gentle reminders to trust in You. Hijack my days and my life in anyway You see fit. I Jesus' Name, Amen.

2 comments:

Charity Grace said...

I feel certain we were separated at birth. The day, the decluttering, the sweet girl, it all sounds really familiar. :)

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing your saturday with us...we didn't mean to hijack it! Isn't it great to see our kids modeling what faith is all about?