CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 10, 2007

Where I'm From

I am from cars with bucket seats; from Big Wheels and Aqua Net; jelly shoes and leg warmers.
I am from government apartments.
I am from bird nests on the window sill and raccoons in the chimney.
I am from biting your tongue while stewing inside and curly hair;
from Russell and Rosellen and Luke and Ruby.
I am from the overly sensitive and “the glass is half empty.”
From “do it right the first time,” “try, try again” and
“everything has a place and everything in it’s place.”
I am from “we don’t believe in Bible thumping”, the frozen chosen and
“God helps those who help themselves.”
I’m from Springfield, Heugonots, and Terre Haute; Hamburger Helper and powdered milk.
From the dad who was never there, the mom who always was and the basketball star brother.
I am from divorce and never feeling like we had enough;
I am from a mom who gave everything she could.
I am from vacations on lakes and in deserts;
bumping around the country in beat-up cars and old RVs;
from a family, who despite all my many faults, still loves me, loves me, loves…and I them.
Thanks to JAN at Midsummer Meanderings for posting her own "Where I'm From" as well as the link to the site where you can download the form to make your own poem. I, too, would love to read anyone else's!

2 comments:

jan said...

Jen, it's beautiful! I can't believe how much we have in common. Have you read my life story on my blog? Divorce, never enough money, no dad around, etc.
It was a "fun" poem to write-I'm thinking about writing another one just like it but with different "words" this time.
Thank you so much for writing one!
How old were you when your parents divorced?
jan

Unknown said...

I love this poem and this idea. I'm going to write one of my own! It's nice to "meet" you...any friend of JAN'S is a friend of mine because she's one neat lady! You're blog is fun and I'm having fun looking back through it!